|Summary of Qualifications
||Thirty years experience creating and interpreting exceptional public environments. Unique written and verbal communicator, committed to collaborative and community creativity and to socially and environmentally responsible design. Skilled in project management, planning and environmental design. Successful in accomplishing complex urban revitalization.
||Landscript Associates, 1972-Present, Principal
- Facilitated content and design of interactive core exhibits for Museum of the African Diaspora, San Francisco
- Wrote Shoreline Park interpretive signage master plan, San Rafael, Ca.
- Developed interpretive elements of Mahany Sustainability Garden, Roseville, Ca.
- On design team for award-winning urban forestry plan for Thousand Oaks, Ca.
- Wrote innovative environmental textbook for Berkshire County, Massachusetts
- Compiled town plans for Great Barrington and Leverett, Massachusetts.
- Pioneered the effective use of taped interviews to involve the public in planning processes in Leverett, Massachusetts and Cincinnati, Ohio.
- Wrote hillside development guidelines for Cincinnati and proposal that established Cincinnati’s model urban forestry program.
- Wrote proposal that preserved Yokum Ridge in West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
- Designed competition entries for Flight 93 Memorial, Oklahoma City Memorial, San Francisco Federal Building Plaza and National Peace Garden.
- Designed land poem installations for multiple sites.
- A Citizen’s Guide to Maintaining Neighborhood Places (Interior Dept.)
- The Hip-Pocket Urban Tree Planter (Ca. Department of Forestry)
- What’s Happening on Milton Street (Landscript Associates)
- Cities (North Atlantic Books)
- Mountain, an Evolutionary Epic (Pan/Gaia Books)
- The Emerging Landscape of Peace (Editor, ADPSR)
- n Articles in Landscape Architecture, Places and other publications
||San Francisco Redevelopment Agency, 1979-2004.
Senior Project Manager, Senior Landscape Architect, Architectural Associate
Yerba Buena Gardens
- Managed staff and budget for 87-acre showcase downtown redevelopment area.
- Conducted selection, negotiation and administration of six architectural contracts, totaling $16 million, and three garden construction contracts, totaling $55 million.
- Managed nine artworks by ethnically diverse artists, including Martin Luther King Memorial, as well as identity and orientation signage throughout Gardens.
- Managed highly public design review and approval process.
- Conducted difficult design resolution process between lead architects
- Programmed Children’s Center, including a lead role in conceiving and incorporating Children’s Creativity Museum.
- Designed conceptual scheme for Jessie Square.
- Responsible for start up and oversight of Gardens operations and maintenance.
- Negotiated development agreements and conducted public approval process for Jessie Square Garage, Westfield San Francisco Center, St. Regis Hotel, Paramount residential tower and Eugene Coleman senior housing.
South of Market Redevelopment Area
- Managed staff and budget for 63-acre high-need redevelopment area.
- Developed strategy to achieve revitalization without displacement through infill creation, rehabilitation and preservation of affordable housing stock.
- Developed Sixth Street design guidelines and streetscape improvements.
- Managed Redevelopment Plan Amendment process to enhance public powers, working closely with sometimes contentious Project Area Committee.
Transbay Redevelopment Survey Area
- Completed and obtained Board of Supervisors’ endorsement of Transbay 2020 Redevelopment Concept Plan and Design Concept for new Transbay Terminal.
- Managed staff, budget and public process and supervised selection, contracting & work of five major consultant teams.
- Maintained close liaison with Mayor’s Office and Planning Department
- Prepared and oversaw implementation of South Beach streetscape master plan
- Managed programming, planning, design and construction documentation for over $5 million of other Agency improvements, including Innes Avenue Affordable Homes, LaSalle Heights open space and Geary Avenue street improvements.
- Secured $50,000 in state funding and directed implementation of demonstration urban forestry plantings at Hunters View Public Housing and Van Ness Avenue.
- Drafted San Francisco urban forestry ordinance for Mayor’s Task Force.
- Established and facilitated residential and commercial maintenance associations.
- Conducted design review of landscape architectural, site planning and urban design aspects of private and public projects in all redevelopment areas.
|Education and Registration
||University of California, Berkeley, CA.
Masters of Landscape Architecture, Environmental Planning
Williams College, Williamstown, MA.
Bachelor of Arts, English and Environmental Studies , Phi Beta Kappa
Punahou Academy, Honolulu, HI.
California Landscape Architect, License 002266
|Civic and Professional Activities
||American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA)
Sustainable San Rafael, President
Yerba Buena Arts & Events, Board of Directors, Finance Chair
San Francisco Friends of the Urban Forest, Former President
Lambda Alpha International, urban economics association
San Francisco Planning and Urban Research (SPUR)
Frequent professional and academic speaker, including ASLA, UC Berkeley, UC Davis and Williams College. Keynote speaker at annual meetings of the California Council of Landscape Architects, Council of Educators in Landscape Architecture and Cincinnati Hillside Trust.